Mike's Pride and Joy

Okay, so judging and competition is subjective. However, I'm finding the Professional Photographers of America do a solid job, and more importantly, I have confidence in their processes. While image scores can go up and down in any given competition, there are usually one or two prints that are consistent among all the competitions.

This is one of those images, and more importantly, is scored high in every single competition. While I enjoy my work and have my own evaluations, haha-that are generally favorable to me, it's rewarding to come across an image that seasoned high-end pros consider an exceptional piece.


A photo of a power station next to the Spokane River.
Night Works by Mike Busby
PPA Merited Image 2019
Entered into the National Exhibit

 The settings were 15 Seconds at f16, ISO 100. People shooting night shots will notice a fairly high f-stop and low ISO that are not generally consistent with night shooting. However, on this night, there was snow on the ground and the low level clouds were reflecting light like crazy. It was 15 degrees  and this was the end of a two hour excursion. It was the single best night for shooting city-scapes, and it would have been an all night shoot had the temperature been warmer.

This is my practice spot. A decade ago I was coming down here several times a week to hone the night skills.  Over time, it became my go to place to test out new equipment. And finally, it has become the place I take clients to teach them night photography. This whole area is unique in that there are easily 15 phenomenal locations to shoot iconic images of Spokane within just a couple of blocks. And actually, probably more than that.

Next years competition is the big one. Two more merited prints and I qualify for a Master's of Photography degree. I'm 4 - 4 - and 3 over the last three years for prints, and I've been strategizing competition with intent. So, I'm thinking next year pretty strong, but theres a touch of humility as there are just too many variables to know for sure. I suppose it keeps me on my toes.

Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions.

Mike

Mike Busby's School of Photography
Mike Busby Photography


Comments

  1. You bad...REALLY BAD...you heard it here first...! I gotta retire so I can hang out with you...!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts